[Sca-cooks] Decisions, decisions...

cldyroz at aol.com cldyroz at aol.com
Fri Nov 18 09:01:50 PST 2005

OK, I have been thinking, reading, scraping, pondering....

One decision is to bake Carrots. cheap, and they can go far. Scrape them, lightly oil them, and stick 'em in the oven till tooth-tender, sprinkle on some fresh seasonal herbs, cut in quarters length wise, plate and serve.
Would 1/2 of a carrot per person cut that way be enough?

I was quickly through WalMart last night, and they have fresh asparagus at $1.28  a pound. Would ten pounds be enough for 125-130 people?

Brussel Sprouts were $2 a box, and it looked as though there were about 15 to a box.
but, here is the rub-I do not want to serve something I would not touch with a ten-foot polearm...and guess which veggie that is?
I absolutely hate and dispise Sprouts.

I have also had thoughts on a dish that I have had many times, growing up-fried cabbage and apples. Shred cabbage, core and quarter apples (leave on the peel), toss in a frying pan with a little water, butter and a tad bit of sugar. cover, cook till tender.... (yeah, I know-no measurements. I am one of *those* cooks-add stuff till it looks, smells and tastes right)
I haven't found anything similar in any of my books. I hope this isn't another one of my Grandmother's depression/War era recipes (i.e. Make do with what you have)

If I take the mushrooms out of the menu, it should free up a good bit of change for vegetable side. Fresh 'rooms cost more then the asparagus, here.....

Thank you!!!!

Helen