[Sca-cooks] gravy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 26 22:16:19 PST 2005

Adamantius asked:
> So, do we need to create some sort of a basic primer for the gravy-
> challenged?

I don't know. This sounds akin to asking what is the best BBQ and how
do you make it? Lots of controversy but little definitive.

> Is there sufficient group interest? Or is there one
> already in the Florilegium? Or a file open on flour-thickened sauces?

There is this file in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section, but I've
concentrated on what little evidence we have for gravy-like sauces in
period. All the examples brought forward by this list have been
rather late in period. A Thanksgiving-themed cooking show a few days
ago said gravy was made in the 14th century, but they gave no
details.  But many of the food history shows I've seen have been
rather questionable in their authenticity.

gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not
medieval.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas