[Sca-cooks] roasting racks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 26 23:12:19 PST 2005

Adamantius commented:

It's also good the way I used it, which was as a pan liner. Like some
of the others who did a turkey and mentioned it on this list, I did
the "breast side down" thing, but had been concerned about the breast
skin sticking to the pan and tearing (I didn't have a roasting rack
large enough), so I put about four cups of mirepoix down in the
bottom of the pan, then laid my bird down on top of it.
<<<

Using the mirepoix as a pan liner sounds interesting.

However, I thought one of the reasons for using a roasting rack was
to keep the meat from sitting in all the grease/drippings. I had
assumed this was to avoid having, rather than a dry meat, one
saturated in grease. Unless you use a large amount of vegetables or
you don't get much grease/drippings, it doesn't sound like using the
mirepoix solves that problem. Perhaps that is only a concern for a
goose or duck, though.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas