[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving experiments-Op

wildecelery at aol.com wildecelery at aol.com
Wed Nov 30 06:03:46 PST 2005

On Turkey:

I use this idea from a friend... put the still frozen turkey in the
oven at 225 at about midnight the night before with  1and 1/2 -2 cups
of water ....makes for a super-moist bird done at about noon, remove
from oven and cover...leaving the oven open for baking!

I put a stick of butter into the body cavity during the overnight
cooking portion, and then add the stuffing  at about 10 am.....

On Stuffing /Dressing:

...my father uses pecans which I can't stand the cooked texture of
...so this year...I tried Hazelnuts in the stuffing...divine!

Pies:

I made a late apple pie(our guests ended up cancelling last minute, soi
I figured Pumkin cookies and  indian pudding was enough dessert for
only 2 of us) Last night.... and managed to do so without adding
regular sugar!

I used my 3x gret-grandmother's Pennsylvania Dutch crust recipe
Peeled, sliced  and cored the apples( leaving on sking where the
peller/slicer/correr didn't get it off)
Sliced apples into smaller chunks and tossed with Tupperware cinnamon
vanilla seasoning, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and 3 tablespoons of
Ginger Liquer, and about 1/4 cup of leftover honey/water mixture (from
making dried, honeyed apples)
Placed into the crust, topped with pats of butter and top crust.

My husband, who generall dislikes pies (unless made specifically by my
father) loved it, and felt that the lack of additional sufgar allowed
for better contrast between the tart, mushy apples and the firm, mellow
crust.

-Ardenia