[Sca-cooks] OOP - bake sale advice

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 13:06:54 PST 2005

At 12:27 PM 11/2/2005,Kathleen A Roberts said something like:
>can anyone recommend some sure fire hits and things to avoid for
>bake sales?  i have never been involved in one before, other than to buy.
>
>thanks
>
>cailte

Cupcakes decorated to look cool also sell really really well. You can
get about 20 per box of cake mix, and at 25-50cents each, they're pure profit.

Bag the cookies in snack size bags for easy handling.

Have your napkins weighted down, as a little breeze turns them into
really neato confetti (NOT).

If you're going for a slightly classier look for the bake sale, get
some of those little paper doily thingies, and put out "sample"
pieces at the front of the table, with the cookies for sale
pre-bagged sitting behind them.

And as always, label your items. If they can see a label that says
"Grandma's Homey Oatmeal Raisin Cookies" then they don't have to
wonder if its a chunky peanut butter cookie gone crazy. The same with
frosted cupcakes, is it chocolate inside or yellow? Ingredient lists
could be helpful, but giving your recipe is not.

Good luck!! Bake sales are very profitable, and with the right
helpers, very fun!  (I ran a few for my cub scout troops many years
ago, and in 30 minutes I made over $100).

Cheers,
Maggie