[Sca-cooks] OOP - bake sale advice

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 3 17:53:51 PST 2005

I haven't seen this one yet so:  Don't price things.  Request donations -
tell people why and what you are doing it for.  I've done this with the
military spouses for mrmph years.  We always make way more money from a
"donations" than with pricing.  Pricing things brings out the cautious buyer
in people.  It is also rather irritating because the buyer knows that it
didn't cost anything like $.25 to make that cookie. Pricing too high drives
people away.  Too low and you don't really make money over what the cooks
donated in ingredients and preparation.  Some people might give you a dollar
for a whole cake, but someone else will dump all their change into your bowl
and take a single cookie.  Letting them donate their spare change lets them
feel they have actually gotten something for their charity - warm fuzzies
both ways.

Also this gets you out of "selling" to the public, at least it always did on
base.

All time favorites were always rice crispie treats.  We did huge pans of
them and they were always gone immediately.  They are cheap to make and easy
to transport.

Wanda (Family Readiness Group leader from before there were such things)