[Sca-cooks] Gunthar's Adventures with Sugar plate (very

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 3 20:46:44 PST 2005

 From A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen which first appears in
1608. This wording from the 1636 edition.

To make Paste-Royall in Spices

TAke of Cinamon and Ginger, of each a like quantity being finely
searced: mingle it with your searced Sugar, and Gum-dragagant
steeped in Rose-water, and worke it into paste as you did your paste-royall
white, and then you may turne it upon sticks made of peeces
of Arrowes, and make them hollow like Cinamon sticks: in
like sort you may make it taste of what spices you please.

This version seems to incorporate the spices with the sugar from
the start. On the bright side---Maybe not using ginger was what went wrong?

Johnnae