[Sca-cooks] "Hell's Kitchen" casting call

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:39:41 PST 2005

Yesterday morning around 8:30 a friend of mine called
and told me they were having a casting call for "Hell's
Kitchen 2" and I'd be just perfect for it!
Um..yeah

I've heard of the show and haven't been impressed
and maybe saw one episode. I have no intention of
being on it or being even selected for a call back. But
I decided to go. Hey, how many casting calls does the
average Joe attend?

I kind of expected this line around the block with a
bunch of hopefuls standing in front of walls with
resume's and head shots and such. This was a little strange.
It was held in a very nice restaurant, Sambuca, that was
still operating to the public. So there are people dropping
$100 on a meal surrounded by some rather strange looking
people clutching sheaves of paper and looking bored.
We were led to an elegant dining room and told to wait.
And that we did. For hours. But it wasn't too bad because
we were all food types and talked recipes and kitchen
horror stories and food and basically did what bored people
do.

The crowd was an interesting mix of people in chef's whites,
Tony Bourdain's "pirate crew", actor/waiters, one guy who
looked like he rode with the Hell's Angels, chefs, gays, Hispanics,
Orientals, women, men....basically everything you can imagine.
I had filled out the online forms so I had a bit of a leg up on
the other people and had some extra pages with me so I spent
the time working on a menu to feed Duke Miguel's army at
Three Kings this weekend.

After 3 or so hours my group got called over to wait in the bar.
And stand around. The good thing was that I was at least able
to watch the football game. And stare at the poor diners trying
to have a romantic evening while hopefuls for a reality tv show
stared at them.

After an hour I made it all the way up to have my picture taken
with a number rather like a mug shot. Then was told to go to
another place to sit and wait.  After a half an hour at the other
place I made it to the interview! It was with a rather harried looking
young man from LA who explained they had around three times the
number of applicants they expected. He asked some general questions,
like if I had ever watched the show and if I knew anything about the
chef. I told him I really hadn't watched much of the show and that
the chef was brilliant and a bastard. He asked how I would handle
being yelled at while under the pressure of a restaurant and I replied
that I'd have to keep in mind that it was mostly an act and done
to make good television. To just keep doing the job and appreciate
his innovative use of the English language.

I was asked why I wanted to do the restaurant thing to which I replied
that cooking is what I am. Some people can deal with people, some
repair computers, some run marathons because that is what they are
naturally attuned to. I'm a cook. That's what I'm supposed to be.

One of the questions I was asked was whether I thought taste or
presentation were more important. Duh. Taste, presentation is
nice but nobody recalls how great their grandmother's meatloaf looked.
You can't eat an oil painting. A meal can be beautiful but if the
taste isn't satisfied then it isn't worth it.

The interviewer seemed happy with my look and personality and
all that and said they will try to do callbacks or people may get
notified to make a video of themselves answering some questions.
He told me he hoped to see me in a few days. I felt good leaving the
interview but I also have a feeling this guy has become very good
at making people feel that way.

The real story here is that I went and did it. I have no illusions of
being chosen and I'm not too sure if I'd want to do it anyway. But
I went and waited and sold myself just because I can say I did.
Not too long ago I would have given up at several points but I
stuck with it. That's another change in me and another step in my
progress. I'm proud of me for doing it.

Gunthar