[Sca-cooks] Re: Hais report

CLdyroz at aol.com CLdyroz at aol.com
Tue Nov 8 20:34:53 PST 2005

In a message dated 11/07/2005 1:13:52 PM Central Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> Hm... I wonder if maybe your dates aren't moist enough?  While mine were
> oily with the sesame oil, they did hold together.  The balls were soft
> and too squish-able and smear-able to use as kiddie finger food, but it
> wasn't crumbly.  If that's the case, perhaps you need to shop for dates
> that are more squishy?

The ingredients that were used were finely ground breadcrumbs-I had left part
of a stale loaf out to dry, and then trimmed the crusts, and gated the bread
through a wire strainer. I ground the nuts in a coffee bean grinder.
The dates WERE too dry. They had been coated with dextrose as a preservative.
Even a tablespoon of water was not enough in the blender to get them to do
chop smaller-I had purchased chopped dates.
I really do not like the oil. I do agree that the next batch should use
butter. But, the next batch will have even more changes;
one; a better plan. I went through too many dishes to prepare this and
created too big of a mess. Unless I can get a kitchen drudge who loves to wash
dishes....
Two, chop my own dates. It is possible to get softer pitted dates. (seriously
these were harder then the nuts!)
three-vegatable oil is good for frying. Everything is better with a little
real butter. I think that butter would have helped greatly with the sweetness of
the product.
I used the recipe on Caridoc's Page-that is, the original. I did not go with
hisversion. I did pay attention to the proportions.
They aren't bad, really-but I do believe there is room for improvement....

Thanks all!

Helen