[Sca-cooks] OT: Frying Cheese

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 20:45:45 PST 2005

Ysabeau reviewed a frying cheese for us:
> I discovered something new at my local HEB (grocery store chain in
> Texas) the other day. It is in the cheese section near the Queso
> Fresco and other Mexican cheeses. It is HEB brand and is called
> Frying Cheese (with a picture of a skillet holding a couple of
> slices of cheese in it). It comes in a plain flavor and in Garlic
> and Herb. With thoughts of the recent Cheese Goo competition in my
> head, I grabbed a package of the Garlic and Herb...not really sure
> what to expect.

Lol. I also picked up a package of "frying cheese" recently. Except I
got mine at Sam's Club rather than HEB and I don't remember them
having any flavored versions. Surely Austin isn't the only place
which has this. My package is "Wisconsin Farms" brand.

I'll have to look at HEB and see if my local HEBs have the flavored
version, and perhaps in a smaller package. Of course being from Sam's
my package is 2 pounds of cheese, and I just noticed that it is
marked "Sell by 10-30-05". I guess I ought to finally open it and
find the time to fry some.

I've tried one of the medieval "fried cheese" recipes and I got a big
mess. Hopefully this will be easier. But I don't see any modern
ingredients meant to keep it together rather than melting into a
sticky blob. (Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes)

Thanks for the review, Ysabeau.

Stefan
(So if you slice this cheese and use it in your table catapult does
that mean you get flying, frying cheese?)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com