[Sca-cooks] Making Frying Cheese

charding at nwlink.com charding at nwlink.com
Wed Nov 9 23:03:58 PST 2005

We get a cypriot cheese called haloumi that is a frying cheese.

I have also made it, with good results. I make it from goat or cow milk (i
would love to try sheep milk.)

After you cut the curd, you take several steps to drive out excess whey.
First you heat it for about 20 min.  Then you press the curds several
times with increasing weights to drive out more whey and then you heat it
in the whey again, which drives out still more whey.  Then you brine it
for a few weeks (up to 60 days, but I have never had the patience to let
it go that long.) It takes all day - little bits of time, but lots of
them.

One of my cheese references calls it a stretched-curd cheese because it's
made by heating the curds in water (or whey) until they become elastic,
then kneading them to release the whey.

I make several batches in the spring and early summer, and we take it to
events and either spit it over the fire or fry it in a pan.

Maeva in An Tir
Where is chilly and rainy