[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 10 12:53:48 PST 2005

I'd also like to know if it GREW.  I have much personal experience that
simply placing a seed in fertile soil with water does not assure a living
plant . . . let alone viability to produce anything edible if it does grow.
What we have rock solid (sort of) evidence of is that someone ordered a
servant to put a/some "Indian" grain in some dirt somewhere in Castello.
That is about the end of direct evidence, and the beginning of the leap(s)
on which are based further assumptions of widespread eating of maize.

Depending on the language of origin, I'd also like to see the original word
and translation to find out if there is any other possible meaning that
could be derived in addition to "Indian" grain.  The syntax also seems to
suggest it could have been planted in a  garden and not in an entire field
". . . in the garden at the Villa at Castello."

niccolo difrancesco