[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 10 18:17:40 PST 2005

I took this excerpt from the Medici Archives Project at:
http://www.medici.org/  Go through the food and wine segment.  The original
Italian is on the same page I think.  Please note that I don't make any
suggestions for this piece.  The people who are doing the translations are
professionals, not second year high school students.

I suspect that if Cosimo de Medici told someone to plant a "field" with
something he expected results better than simply poking a seed in the
ground.  No reason I know for Corn/maize not to grow in Italy in the 16th
Century.  No terrible climate reasons at any rate.

No claims that people ate the stuff.  However, don't we know that it was
around by about 1620 due to the Arcimbolo picture?

Regina