[Sca-cooks] cheese for making armor

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Nov 10 17:24:51 PST 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Lonnie D. Harvel wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The recent mention of armored turnips got me interested in making
> the dish. I went plundering around the florilegium file and found
> the recipe and some discussion. Part of those discussion dealt with
> what cheese to use. Cheddar is what was listed in the recipe;
> followed by a discussion of "cheddaring" not being a period
> process. Swiss was also listed as an option.
>
> So....
>
> What cheses have folks used and liked?

Scully's translation in "The Neapolitan Recipe Collection" calls for
"Parmesan cheese or some other good fat cheese," so I usually use a
mix of parmesan and mozzarella.  It meshes well with either the
typical "Italian" herb mix (basil, tarragon, oregano, etc...) or Fine
Spice Powder (sugar, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, grains of paradise,
etc...).

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)