[Sca-cooks] Indian Maize in Italy in period??????

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 10 21:28:35 PST 2005

Adele de Maisieres commented:

> Elaine Koogler wrote:
>
>    Duke Cosimo,
> > ordering Pierfrancesco Riccio to have   "Indian" grain  planted
> in the
> > field below the Vivaio in the     garden at the Villa  at Castello.
> >    Extract: [...] Scrivere al Maiordomo  [Pierfrancesco Riccio] che
> > faccia sementare il campo  ch'? sotto il vivaio a Castello    de'
> > grani
> > d'India  Wanda
> >

> > Comments???  Could they be using the term "maize" or "Indian Maize"
> > the
> > same way other writers used the term, "corn"...i.e., just another
> > reference to a kind of flour, but not to what we know as corn?
>
> I think that's interesting, but doesn't especially upset the apple
> cart
> in terms of when corn appeared for culinary use.
>
> What I'd be interested to know is whether this was a serious,
> food-producing planting, or essentially an experimental one.

Yes, this very likely another mention of maize in Europe prior to
1600 CE. There are a number including some which talk of using it to
make bread.
See this Florilegium file:
maize-msg         (38K)  9/ 9/04    Discovery of maize (Indian corn)
in the
                                        Americas and its introduction
to Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/maize-msg.html