[Sca-cooks] Apple cider

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 11 09:13:47 PST 2005

Volker Bach wrote:

>>Hard cider is certainly period.  I don't know if sweet (non-alcoholic)
>>cider is period.
>>

>As a cooking ingredient it is - at least in Germany. It features in sauce in
>the Königsberg MS. But I can't prove anyone drank it ATM.
>
>Giano

Likewise, there is a recipe for a sauce made with apple juice and spices
in Granado (1599).  Alonso de Herrera's agricultural manual (1551 ed.)
has a section on apple trees.  He says that wine made from apples is
called cider, and that they make a lot of it in Vizcaya (region of
northern Spain).  It is a beverage that quenches thirst well.  He also
comments that sour apples can be used to make vinegar.  No mention of
drinking the unfermented juice.

I can't see that it would be a practical beverage.  Unpasturized apple
juice doesn't last long without spoiling or fermenting.  There are
descriptions of keeping apples, packed in straw, in a cool place, but
apples are not a good choice for juicing in small quantities.

There are descriptions of spiced honey-water, if someone is looking for
a spiced non-alcoholic beverage, but it is intended to be served cold,
in the summer.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom