[Sca-cooks] How old are sugared almonds?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 11 10:37:21 PST 2005

Am Freitag, 11. November 2005 13:06 schrieb Johnna Holloway:
> By the time one gets to the early 14th or 13th centuries
> there aren't that many surviving recipe collections anyway.
> Recipes circa 1300 and earlier?
> It's dark for everyone. Regular recipes are hard to locate for those eras.
> Confectionary recipes are even harder to find. There are mentions in
> apothecary literature and in household accounts that such things were
> purchased or available for purchase, but recipes for them????

There are a few collections that probably go back further in terms of
tradition (I mean, we can trace recipes from collections in the 1500s back to
the 1350s, it is not illogical to assume that a recipe collection written
around 1300 to 'shade' back at least to 1250, if not 1200). But a mention or
phrase is fine. I would just love to serve sugared almonds and I can get them
very reasonably priced.

Giano