[Sca-cooks] Apple cider

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 11 17:59:45 PST 2005

I suspect that the cider producers are responding to the new
juice regulations.
http://ift.confex.com/ift/2005/techprogram/paper_31368.htm
products, the FDA adopted the Juice HACCP regulation. Starting January
2004 all juice processors that sell wholesale are required to implement
a step that leads to a 5-log reduction of pertinent pathogens. Elevated
bacterial counts in end-product cider samples treated with thermal
pasteurization or Ultra-Violet (UV) light irradiation suggested that the
equipment was not operated properly or that post-processing
contamination occurred.
See also http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/juiceqa.html

Johnnae