[Sca-cooks] Knives - sharp side in?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 11 23:37:35 PST 2005

Giano commented:
> Why would I want to stab anyone at the dinner table in a society
> where it is still legal to kill people in open hand-to-hand combat?

Yes, although I find the whole idea that which direction the edge of
the blade is pointing would make any difference rather preposterous.

Ask any SCA armored combatant whether he can use only one particular
side of his dagger or sword to "kill" someone? Or whether he could do
it with either the top or bottom, whichever had the edge?

Also, if it *did* matter, the way the knife is placed only counts
until it is first picked up and used. It could then set down either
way. Or simply, discretely rotated in the hand before use.

If someone wants to use that oft used SCA technique of "practical
archeology". Get a tableknife and try it, and see if it makes a
difference. If you are really concerned about the safety of this, the
two (or more) participants can wear list legal rapier armor. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com