[Sca-cooks] cheese for making armor

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 12 00:22:45 PST 2005

Selene suggested:
> >> Kiri commented:
> seasonings.
> >>
> >> And drowning out the flavor of the turnips is a bad thing??? :-)
> >>
> >> Actually in the same file that Lonnie mentions (turnips-msg) there
> >> is  a bunch of commentary on choosing the turnips and/or treating
> >> them to reduce the bitterness of the turnip taste. I've never been
> >> served any though that didn't have that taste.
> >>
> >> Stefan
>
> I can relate the secret to success with turnips right now.  Peel it
> THICKLY and don't fret about apparent wastage.  If you cut a turnip
> crosswise, you can see a slightly darker circle just inside of the
> skin,
> an "orle" if you are a herald.  This layer and everything outside
> of it
> is the bitter part.  Cut it off and the rest of the root is juicy-
> sweet.

Picking the smaller turnips, as Kiri mentioned in another message,
was one of the techniques I was thinking of being in the turnips-msg
file.

I think this is the first time I've heard anything about "peeling
them thickly", though. So that probably isn't in that file, but it
will be. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas