[Sca-cooks] cheese for feast

JPC coane at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 14:28:53 PST 2005

Greetings Hedwig,
This is actual a good question for a number of reasons but I am going to
focus on just one question.

How many oz. of food are you planning per person?

In my experience 20-25 oz. of food is about what people will eat on average.
Fighters can eat more, kids eat less... it averages out. (I will use 22.5 as
an average value below)

with 3 courses you have at least 10 dishes correct? (The following assumes
10 dishes)
(22.5 oz/person) / (10 person/dish) = 2.25 oz/dish for each person
That amount of cheese will produce leftovers at some tables.

This amount, 2.25 oz, could be divided into two. A cheap
cheese($1.99 -$3.99/lb.) and an expensive cheese ($5.99/lb.+) say in a 70/30
split. The small eaters will eat what they like and the big eaters will
everything else. This is a good way to add an expensive 'nice' cheese
without breaking the bank.

This is just the one way of 'guessing' how much to buy and portion for
feasts. There are others and I would love to hear how they do their
planning.

Christopher