[Sca-cooks] Re: Indian Maise in Italy in period?????

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Nov 13 11:44:34 PST 2005

I was hoping Helewyse/Louise would respond and I wouldn't have
to number one: dig the copy of Scappi out from where it is lurking
in the Italian pile of Forni stuff and two: type it out. I am about
typed out.
Of course if one searches online one finds:
XXIV Maize dish (Frumenty) good and very useful.
If you want to make frumenty, take the wheat berries, and grind/beat it
well until the husk lifts, then wash it well. Put it to boil in water,
but don’t boil it too much, then pour away the water. Then add inside
the fat of whichever animal you wish, and you want to make sure that you
don’t add too much. Add sweet and strong spices, and saffron, and if you
don’t have wheat then you can take rice, and it will be good.
This is from Helewyse's Translation of Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco
(14th/15th c.) (Anonimo Veneziano).
The use of "maize" here must be generic, rather like corn being used
for wheat in British texts. The date means that it's can't be New World
corn or maize yet.
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html#XXIV

Saved by the son's homework. They have to set up Flash, so
I need to get off and go away.

I'll do it later if I can get back to the machine.

Johnnae
(I'll forward this and see if she bites too.)