[Sca-cooks] Re: Indian Maise in Italy in period?????

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 14 07:34:46 PST 2005

In Capatti and Montanari's volume Italian Cuisine A Cultural History,
they write on page 50:
"A soup of "coarse wheat," meaning maize, appears in Scappi's Opera.
footnote 76 which reads Scappi Opera ,chaps. 70v  359
So they at least believe that this coarse wheat is maize. They also say
that Stefani and Latini
mention it as suitable for animal fodder. This is the sort of thing the
English
cooks write about when they discuss oats.

Johnnae