[Sca-cooks] OT: SCA as cult (was Curye on Inglysch)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 13:07:03 PST 2005

On 11/13/05 9:14 AM, "Robin" <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Sue Clemenger wrote:
>
>> I have nights like that too (knees and hips, blech).
>> And I had parents who thought, at first, that the SCA was a cult, as well.
>> Poor things. <g>
>>

> When I joined the SCA, it was in a newly-formed canton that was mostly
> college students.  One girl who came to an organizational meeting said
> that her parents were encouraging her interest in the SCA.... because t
> would keep her away from her weird friends in science fiction fandom.

Rolling on the Floor Laughing!!!!!  They just have no idea of the level of
overlap, do they?  Nor of the founders of the organization, many of whom
are/were excellent cooks, she said, bringing us back on the topic of SCA
Cooks, yes?  I have a lot of examples in the fanzine "The Darkover
Cookbook", much of which was based on Medieval cookery.  Wonder why?
Recipes from MZB, Karen Anderson [Karina Far West], Bjo Trimble [Flavia
Beatrice Carmigniani], our own Devra as well as other folks who Were There
At The Beginning.  Karina is still an outstanding cook who works with
historical recipes, Bjo is a swell cook too with a brilliant eye for
asthetics.  Someday I want to try her on sotelties.  Have never supped with
Devra [yet] but anyway.  My copy was deteriorating badly so I've typed it
all into a MS Word document [minus the illustrations, decently executed but
not too germane to the topic of cookery] and if anybody wants to see it,
contact me off-list.

The worst thing that could happen to a young person because of the SCA is
that they might wind up as a History Major.  <snigger>

Selene Colfox
Selene at earthlink.net