[Sca-cooks] Curye on Inglysch

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 17:52:00 PST 2005

Molli Rose said:
> I've dabbled in food research in the last few years but never
> committed
> myself to it. So these are wobbly beginnings (literally and
> figuratively).
> Once we get the knees thing dealt with...I might try a
> feast....maybe...

You might want to look through the FEASTS section in the Florilegium
to read what some of the more experienced headcooks have to say about
planning and cooking a feast. There are also a large number of SCA
feast examples in this section, and often a review of what went well
and what didn't. I've put this info out there so that hopefully folks
can learn from the mistakes of others and not have to start from the
very bottom. There are also some good files there on using some of
the institutional items, such as warming ovens, which unless you've
worked in food service you may never have used before.

You might also consider some gradual steps towards being a headcook,
as well as simply working in the kitchen and learning from other more
experienced headcooks. I doubt I will ever be a headcook, myself. One
thing, that I have done though, is to serve a luncheon for the Crown
and their entourage. This let me deal with much smaller quantities of
food, and much of it I prepared ahead of time.

Another practice for a feast would be running a dayboard or a breakfast.
dayboards-msg     (34K)  2/19/05    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day
meals.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/dayboards-msg.html
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga
Zajaczkowa.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Daybrd-Advent-art.html

>  Mustard...I want to know more about mustard.
>
> <Runs off to read mustard-msg - 9/30/01- Mustard seed in period.
> sauces.
> recipe>

Forgive me if I am being presumptuous or egotistical, but that
phrasing makes me think you may be quoting from an older copy of my
Florilegium filelist.
The actual info on that file is now:
mustard-msg      (120K) 12/24/04    Mustard seed in period. sauces.
recipes.

You might also be interested in these two files, also in the the food-
CONDIMENTS section:
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daniel le Vascon
du Navarre
Mustard-Making-art (36K) 12/ 7/03    "Making Medieval-Style Mustards"
by Pani
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.

Stefan
--------