[Sca-cooks] Math time for feast Prep

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 16 11:07:44 PST 2005

Why are you serving asparagus?  The reason it is cost-prohibitive right now
is because it isn't in season - being a Spring vegetable.  Canned asparagus
is a waste of the canning process, in my humble opinion, but if you go that
way you can save some money because not so many folks will eat it anyway.
Why not substitute something that is in season=plentiful=cheap?  Spinach,
all of the cabbages - kale, broccoli rabe, cauliflower, Br. Sprouts, etc.,
mustard, turnips, and more are in season and far cheaper than asparagus (at
any time of year).  I know it is late and you are down to the wire, but how
about a nice spinach and currants dish? (An Excellent Boyled Salat)
Christianna

>Asparagus (canned-fresh is cost prohibitive)

Have you considered frozen Asparagus? The last time I checked, the
Birdseye 10oz package was comparable in price to a can.

An Excellent Boiled Salad - English Huswife book 2, p.40 (GOOD)
To make an excellent compound boil'd Sallat: take of Spinage well washt two
or three handfuls, and put it into faire water and boile it till it bee
exceeding soft and tender as pappe; then put it into a Cullander and draine
the water from it, which done, with the backside of your Chopping-knife chop
it and bruise it as small as may bee: then put it into a Pipkin with a good
lump of sweet butter and boile it over again; then take a good handfull of
Currants cleane washt and put to it, and stirre them well together, then put
to as much Vinegar as will make it reasonable tart, and then with sugar
season it according to the taste of the Master of the house, and so serve it
upon sippets.
10 ounces spinach
2 T butter
5/8 c currants
3 T wine vinegar
4 T sugar
1 lb loaf of white bread or more, toasted (sippets)
Serve on slices of toast.