[Sca-cooks] Math time for feast Prep

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 16 11:46:04 PST 2005

I don't recall the rest of your menu, but if courses 1 and 2 are
substantial, then course 3 could be less meat per head.  4 ounces is a good
bit if you have limited funds, and there is meat before it.  You could scale
to 3 ounces and save scratch (money) and give some play to the other
ingredients . . . maybe affording the fresh asparagus.  Mstrs Christianna's
suggestion of fall or winter greens might be a good call, though as they
would pair really well with the lamb.  Fennel bulb is in season :o)  (that's
tongue in cheek as many aren't fennel eaters . . . though fennel could
easily substitute into your menu see
http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/crown_list_2000_recipes.html#fennellee
ks ).

At 3 ounces lamb per person (pre-cooked), you can get down to 23 to 25 lbs
of lamb.  With the half cup of cooked rice per person, that sounds a
reasonable serving bulk with the fat from bacon and almond milk in the
course.  If this is your 'big meat' course, then definitely go to the 4
ounces and ignore my banter.

Yeah; I know.  Where was I three weeks ago?  I hate it when someone makes
late breaking suggestions to me, too.  Sorry.  Your plan should work out as
it is just fine, as will your math.  I usually use weights to estimate large
amounts of grains rather than volumes, but as long as you use 2 to 1 ratio
of liquid to rice, you should be right.

niccolo difrancesco

<<SNIP>>