[Sca-cooks] math time reply

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 17:41:08 PST 2005

cldyroz at aol.com wrote:

>OK, *TweeeeT* TIME OUT!
>I appreciate y'all's feelings, really, I do! Believe me!
>
>When I do Feast budgets as part of an Event bid, I give the cook at least $7 a head-and the next one will be $8. Why? *I* grocery shop. I know what prices are like. I also appreciate the quality ingredients, can mean a superior Feast.
>
>I am one of 4 cooks, with an over-all budget of $500.  The first course cook is having Salmon Pasties with Salat. The Second course cook is baking chicken and fixing green beans. I have the third course. The fourth course will be desserts.
>
>I was not really given a choice of what to cook, and I was informed, two weeks ago,  to find another veggie (I wanted the Salat). I have been searching high and low for one that will get eaten, not starred at with an "Eww, what's this?" I know everyone loves asparagus...and Sam's sells it in the BIG cans...but it would take at least 9 cans.... ::fleeting screechs of frustration::
>
>Good suggestions will be welcome, trust me.
>I have put in a request for the Head Cook to call me tonight. We do need to talk....
>
>But, my first and foremost question was on the math part fo the portions. I do want to make sure I have enough of the rice...and not too much! <G> There is the family story of when Mother cooked rice for the first time....
>
>thank you for your feelings on this matter-I do appreciate it!
>
>Helen

Well, parsnips are a possibility...they are sweet and very good.  Or how
about brocoli?  It's green, most folks like it and you can get it fresh
or frozen most of the year 'round (and it's good that way).  Carrots can
be fixed a lot of different ways and they're pretty tasty also.  Canned
asparagus is not a wonderful thing...in fact, I hated asparagus until my
Dad started growing it...now I can't get enough of it...fresh.  I even
tried frozen and that was pretty nasty as well.   this may not be what
you're looking for, but this could keep your costs down.

Kiri