[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving SCA style

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 11:21:07 PST 2005

I use the Alton Brown brine for turkey dinner with my parents.  However,
at home and with friends who don't mind an excursion into the weird and
wacky, I use this notorious recipe:

http://www.wordsmitten.com/2003_seasoned_turkey.htm

"A Seaoned Bird?"  by Morton Thompson, as told to Robert Benchley.

My mother would not let me do this for Thanksgiving, partly because
there was an active three-year-old running around but mostly because she
thought it was a Benchley hoax.  Let me assure you, it's fiendishly
complicated but exceptionally delicious. The time I beta-tested for a
group of SCA people, it never even really got carved, the vultures
descended upon the carcass and left naught but polished bones.  KC ate
up all the blackened skin and everyone else practically sucked on the
foil lining the pan.   If you really drink all the alcohol as directed,
you will be completely squiffed by supper time, but in some families
that may be a good idea.  <g>

Don't try to combine Brown and Morton by brining the turkey before
blackening;  I did try that one time and the spicing was unpleasantly
diluted.  Just so you know.

Selene