[Sca-cooks] The pumpkin/gourd debate (again) from the apothecary'sworkshop

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 20 20:27:33 PST 2005

This is a place where it would be useful to have the associated text in the
original language.  In Medieval Latin, the term "citrullum" (see Platina)
refers to a yellow cucumber (or possibly a melon, as Pliny ignored the
difference).   This derives from "citrinus" or "yellow."  I suspect that
"citrule" is a variant of "citrullus," which, depending on the context,
could be a variant of "citrouille" or may refer to a cucumber of watermelon
(as in Citrullus lanatus).

 Bear