[Sca-cooks] The pumpkin/gourd debate (again) from the apothecary's workshop

Radei Drchevich radei at moscowmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:07:15 PST 2005

don't know if this will help.  but there is a pumpkin of south-east asian
origin, as well as a gourd that is called pumkin in africa.  Since I had
the fire my reference library is currently either detroyed or packed away
for safe keeping<those that survived, luckily my hortus guide is in the
latter>, so I can't look up the bontanical names right now.

Asian has the common name of Chinese Pumpkin, or White melon.  it is a
greenish/white pumpkin type flesh.  I grow it every year, almost.  is
about 12-16 inches in diameter with the seed cavity at about 4-6 inches,
so thick fleshed.  tastes like a butternut squash.

The Africian variety I am not familiar with first hand, only from
reference in cookbooks and botanical texts.  It is said to be somewhat
more melonlike in texture and flavour, but thinner in flesh that the
native North American pumpkin.

joy

radei