[Sca-cooks] Binge drinking

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Nov 21 19:11:09 PST 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 9:43 PM, Radei Drchevich wrote:

> Statisrics are not a reliable measure of the actual intake.  Do you
> have
> sources that indicate actual daily consumprion?

At the risk of sounding flippant, what did you think the statistics
are based on? But seriously, there are probably multiple  books of
household management, and recipe sources from specific households
that give a fair idea both of how much ale (for example) was made in
a given season, and how many people were in the household, which type
of ale was for which household members, etc. It's not exact but we
can get a fair idea.

Another possibility might be if there are records of allowances for
workers in various occupations (not sure if this data is actually
available, but I wouldn't be surprised), and I know the extent to
which records exist for post-period sailors' ration of ale and rum,
as well as wine.

> modern numbers for north america say the average person drinks 12
> gallons
> of beer, 2 gallons of hard liquor, and 3 gallons of wine per year.
> That
> is based on sales not actual person to person counts.

I'm sure the actual amount varies, but if you're positing the amount
of beer that is purchased and never drunk, I imagine it's pretty
insignificant. As for person-to-person counts, if you take them and
average them together, you get an average, no? Which is what the stat
claims to be... the only question is whether the actual data as
gathered is accurate, and I can only ask, why would it be more likely
to be inaccurate than accurate?

I mean, clearly there are people who drink huge amounts of beer,
wine, and spirits, and some who drink less, and some who drink none,
but these are still represented in the average sale numbers.

If medieval stats were gathered (based on annual sales) in the way
they are today, there'd be a big window for inaccuracy in unrecorded,
untaxed, or otherwise unregulated ale being made in homes, but I
don't think the data for period consumption is gathered in the same way.

Adamantius