[Sca-cooks] 60th Anniversary of the Microwave

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Nov 21 19:27:10 PST 2005

Was written:

> Sixty years ago this fall, a Raytheon Co.
> scientist conducting radar research
> with microwaves discovered that while in close proximity to them, the
> chocolate bar in his pocket melted.
>
> A subsequent experiment -- we're not making this up -- with popcorn led
> Dr. Percy Spencer to file a patent for the use of microwaves in cooking
> food."

It reminds me of a conversation with my father last holiday season.

"Pops I remember you saying that when you were stationed outside of Miami
back the 50's and we lived down there you worked in radar.  You used to tell
stories of birds that flew into the beam and were "roasted"".

Dad said "Yes there was even a company rep that got himself killed, cooked,
by being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Well Dad" I said "radar is microwaves isn't it, and a microwave oven is
just microwaves in a box. Knowing all of this how come you didn't invent the
microwave oven?"

"Don't be a wise a--- he replied."

Happy Turkey Day!

Daniel