[Sca-cooks] 60th Anniversary of the Microwave

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 21 08:05:49 PST 2005

Another culinary anniversary--

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lifestyle/0511/21/E01-388134.htm

Don't dry the dog
America cooks up 60 years of microwave madness

By Michael H. Hodges / The Detroit News
Photo illustrations by Ray Stanczak and Max Ortiz / The Detroit News

"How in the world did we ever reheat coffee in the old days?

Sixty years ago this fall, a Raytheon Co.
scientist conducting radar research
with microwaves discovered that while in close proximity to them, the
chocolate bar in his pocket melted.

A subsequent experiment -- we're not making this up -- with popcorn led
Dr. Percy Spencer to file a patent for the use of microwaves in cooking
food."

Johnnae