[Sca-cooks] RE: cinnamon tart and english tart

Irmgart irmgart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 05:18:41 PST 2005

really, I make them pretty much exactly as it says:
36 To make an English tart

First take one third of a quart of cream, some three quarters of a pound of
fat and a quarter pound of sugar, which must be allowed to cook with the
milk and the fat. After that take six eggs, according to how [large] they
are, and, also six egg yolks, beat two eggs with a small spoonful of flour
and stir it until smooth, and when it is well-beaten, then beat into it all
the eggs, put it all in a pan and let it simmer together until it becomes
fairly thick, and watch out that it does not burn, and when it is cooked
then salt it a little and pour in a little rose water on it while it is
still warm, and let it bake.

10-11 oz of cream
3/4 lb of unsalted butter (3 sticks)
1/2 cup of sugar (seems like a reasonable amt, I don't have a scale)
6 eggs
6 egg yolks
1 tbs flour
Rosewater

Heat cream, butter and sugar together over med-low heat until sugar is
dissolved. Beat 2 eggs together with flour, then beat that into the rest of
the eggs and yolks. Temper the eggs with the hot cream mixture, then add the
eggs to the cream mixture. Cook over low to med-low heat until it thickens,
stirring fairly constantly.

Makes 2 deep dish pies or 3 regular pies.

Bake @ 350 until set and slightly browned on top (I have no idea if it's
supposed to be browned on top, but it's pretty that way). When you pull it
out sprinkle rose water on the tops of the pies (I have some in a mister,
makes it easy.)

132 A cinnamon tart

Take a half pound of ground almonds, more or less, according to how large a
tart one will make. Take butter and the whites from seven eggs. Mix
everything together, afterwards put a half ounce of cinnamon into it, the
largest part, however, sprinkled on top, and sprinkle the tart with rose
water. Also take about a half pound of sugar and put it in. The white fat
from a leg of veal, cooked and finely chopped, is also especially good.

1/2 lb ground almonds
1/4 stick butter, melted
7 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 tbs cinnamon (or more)
Rosewater

Combine sugar and butter, add in egg whites, stir in almonds, stir in part
of the cinnamon, sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon on top.

Makes 1 deep dish or 2 regular pies.

Bake @ 350 until set (I guess about 20 min), pull out, sprinkle with
rosewater.

-Irmgart