[Sca-cooks] cinnamon tart and english tart

Irmgart irmgart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 06:10:16 PST 2005

The English Tart is also Sabina Welserin (
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html)

I'm sure the actual original measurements are different from modern ones,
but it works out. Makes 2 deep dish pies. I usually just toss the extra egg
yolk in. :)

36 To make an English tart

First take one third of a quart of cream, some three quarters of a pound of
fat and a quarter pound of sugar, which must be allowed to cook with the
milk and the fat. After that take six eggs, according to how [large] they
are, and, also six egg yolks, beat two eggs with a small spoonful of flour
and stir it until smooth, and when it is well-beaten, then beat into it all
the eggs, put it all in a pan and let it simmer together until it becomes
fairly thick, and watch out that it does not burn, and when it is cooked
then salt it a little and pour in a little rose water on it while it is
still warm, and let it bake.

You can see that it complements the cinnamon tart well:

132 A cinnamon tart

Take a half pound of ground almonds, more or less, according to how large a
tart one will make. Take butter and the whites from seven eggs. Mix
everything together, afterwards put a half ounce of cinnamon into it, the
largest part, however, sprinkled on top, and sprinkle the tart with rose
water. Also take about a half pound of sugar and put it in. The white fat
from a leg of veal, cooked and finely chopped, is also especially good.

-Irmgart