[Sca-cooks] Persephone and pomegranite seeds

Irmgart irmgart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 06:22:35 PST 2005

This is my favorite time of year in the States because we can get
pomegranates!

I've been eating 1-2 a week since the middle of October and am sad that
they're now going out of season.

I've introduced them to a lot of people this year. My favorites have been
the ones from the local Food Lion which are PomWonderful brand (same folks
that make PomWonderful Pomegranate Juice). They're freaking *huge!* About
twice the size of "normal" poms.

A couple of my friends seem to prefer the "start at the blossom end and try
to peel the tough leathery skin and membrane off until you get to the yummy
garnet seeds" approach. This does work, but it's usually way too much like
work for me!

I usually use a knife to score the skin into sections (kind of like an
orange peel, go about as deep as you would for a thick skinned orange, and
do it over a plate or napkins, it's *messy*!), then try to pry it apart into
chunks. If that doesn't work, of if I'm feeling lazy, I'll hold it over a
bowl and just cut the thing in half (either direction, I tend towards
blossom to stem end rather than horizontally).

Pluck the seeds out and eat them! you can either eat the hard actual seed
part, or not. I do, a lot of people don't. There's plenty of "stuff" left
over either way, so not eating the hard part of the seeds is not the end of
the world. :)

If it's a really plump one, be sure you have plenty of napkins and possibly
a damp towel, or a very close friend! (yes, poms can be *that* kind of food
^_^)

Hope that helps!

-Irmgart