[Sca-cooks] Persephone and pomegranite seeds

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 23 07:45:33 PST 2005

Something else it has been a symbol for forever is fertility.  Not only is
it a fruit (fertil right there), it has the multiple seeds like an ovary
(interesting since they didn't have a clear picture of that in antiquity),
and it is red like blood.
Add to that a fact I recently found out during a lecture on Women's Health
issues, the juice of the pommegranate is very high in bioflavinoids, and
helps the fertility process in young women.  It is actually
counter-indicated in pre-menopausal women because it affects hormones to the
point of increasing the risks of breast cancer.  (Only for women past the
main fertility cycles.)  So, talk about the question of which came first -
but this is one food that not only symbolizes fertility, it actively helps
it along!
Christianna