[Sca-cooks] Persephone and pomegranite seeds

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Nov 23 07:06:52 PST 2005

I don't read Greek, and my Latin never got into copies of myths, being
mostly concerned with the political satire of Catullus, or the wanderings of
Virgil's Aeneid, but I've never heard of the fruit that Persephone ate in
the underworld as being anything except pomegranite seeds.  It's also one of
the only fruits that I'm (personally) aware of, in which one distinctly eats
the seed (or whatever the little capsule around each seed is actually
called), and discards the other parts of the fruit.  The pomegranites I see
for sale here range in size from small apples to medium grapefruits.  They
have a leathery, usually reddish outer skin, and the interior of the fruit
has a dryish, creamy-colored membrane that creates a number of goodly
pockets within the fruit.  The pockets within this membrane are crammed full
of ruby-red, translucent "seeds" that each comprise an actual seed
surrounded by a shell of the fruit part (There's a technical term, but I
don't recall it right now.)  Pomegranites remind me a bit of a raspberry
with a leather coat on--there's something of the same composite nature to
them.
I don't have a dictionary, let alone a good dictionary, handy to
double-check the ceres/cereal reference, sorry.  It may be that they share
the same root word in Sanskrit or something ;o), but I was always under the
impression that the English word "cereal" was derived from the name "Ceres."
Maybe one of the other list members can give you a more definite answer on
that....
--Maire