[Sca-cooks] Binge drinking

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Nov 23 07:52:14 PST 2005

> One thing that I don't think has come up in this thread, is just how
> strong in alcohol or not, these beers and ales were. I've gotten the
> feeling in my reading of medieval info that small beers, beers lower
> in alcohol than what we think of as beer, made up substantial amounts
> of the beer made. Especially that given as boons during harvest and
> such. Afterall, having drunk laborers probably doesn't help get that
> harvest in.

One thing to note is that English records generally distinguish between
small Beer and regular Beer. There's some useful information in Richard
Unger, Beer in the Middle Ages and Renaissance (Phila: UPenn, 2004)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase