[Sca-cooks] Binge drinking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 22 22:25:36 PST 2005

Doc commented:
> The diet table approved in April 1687 by the Governing Body of St
> Bartholomew's Hospital contains the following references to alcohol
> consumption.
>
> Sunday:  1 pint of Ale Cawdell, 3 pints of 6 shilling Beere
> Monday:  3 pints of Beere
> Tuesday:  3 pints of Beere
> Wednesday:  3 pints of Beere
> Thursday:  The same allowance as Sunday
> Friday:  3 pints of Beere
> Saturday:  The same allowance as Wednesday
>
> (source:  J. Drummond, The Englishman's Food)
>
> Not quite the gallon of ale per day, but it's still more than I
> drink.  I had another source - earlier, from a charity - that will
> take longer for me to dig up.

One thing that I don't think has come up in this thread, is just how
strong in alcohol or not, these beers and ales were. I've gotten the
feeling in my reading of medieval info that small beers, beers lower
in alcohol than what we think of as beer, made up substantial amounts
of the beer made. Especially that given as boons during harvest and
such. Afterall, having drunk laborers probably doesn't help get that
harvest in.

I also suspect that natural selection of yeasts as well as better
storage has both increased the alcohol precentages as well as the
storage times through the years, but I have no evidence to prove this.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com