[Sca-cooks] Broth - the making

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Nov 24 00:39:49 PST 2005

Terri Morgan wrote:
  When you boil beef bones, meat, fat, and (maybe) veggies (I've
> been cooking them separately) to create your soup base, do you let it cool
> and remove all the congealed fat from the top of the pan?

Yes, yes I do.

Is it normal for
> the rest of the cold "broth" to look like jello in consistency?

Yes, most definitely-- its due to gelatin extracted from the connective
tissue as it cooks.

> And... I've never tried it, but it occurs to me that adding the drippings
> from tomorrow's turkey to that base might be good.

Jolly good plan, if you can stand to eat turkey without gravy.

It might also ruin a good
> base. What is your experience of mixing beef and poultry in a soup?

It's delicious and normal practice when making consomme.

--
Adele de Maisieres