[Sca-cooks] Broth - the making

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 24 04:41:42 PST 2005

Terri Morgan wrote:

>I've started making broth for a tavern event I'll be cooking for and have a
>question. When you boil beef bones, meat, fat, and (maybe) veggies (I've
>been cooking them separately) to create your soup base, do you let it cool
>and remove all the congealed fat from the top of the pan? Is it normal for
>the rest of the cold "broth" to look like jello in consistency? I think it
>is, but it's been a long, long while since I've made large amounts of soup
>from scratch. About 5 years, actually. Man, suddenly I feel old... anyway,
>how does your broth-base come out?
>
>And... I've never tried it, but it occurs to me that adding the drippings
>from tomorrow's turkey to that base might be good. It might also ruin a good
>base. What is your experience of mixing beef and poultry in a soup? I'll be
>using only beef as the 'solid' meat bits when it's cooked to be served but
>I'm planning on including onions and some form of grain (lentils, maybe. If
>anyone has a suggestion, I'm open for it).
>

>Hrothny

Not sure about adding the turkey stuff...but I can't imagine that it
would ruin it.  Phillip (for the rest of you, my dearest husband who is
an incredible cook in his own right) agrees, adding that it would change
the taste a bit, depending on how much of the drippings you have to
add.  Yes, I usually do remove most of the fat from the top of the
cooled broth...and yes, it does frequently take on a jellied consistency.

Kiri