[Sca-cooks] Broth - the making

Mark Hendershott crimlaw at jeffnet.org
Thu Nov 24 10:16:19 PST 2005

At 04:41 AM 11/24/2005, you wrote:
>Terri Morgan wrote:
>
>>I've started making broth for a tavern event I'll be cooking for and have a
>>question. When you boil beef bones, meat, fat, and (maybe) veggies (I've
>>been cooking them separately) to create your soup base, do you let it cool
>>and remove all the congealed fat from the top of the pan? Is it normal for
>>the rest of the cold "broth" to look like jello in consistency? I think it
>>is, but it's been a long, long while since I've made large amounts of soup
>>from scratch. About 5 years, actually. Man, suddenly I feel old... anyway,
>>how does your broth-base come out?
>>
>>And... I've never tried it, but it occurs to me that adding the drippings
>>from tomorrow's turkey to that base might be good. It might also ruin a good
>>base. What is your experience of mixing beef and poultry in a soup? I'll be
>>using only beef as the 'solid' meat bits when it's cooked to be served but
>>I'm planning on including onions and some form of grain (lentils, maybe. If
>>anyone has a suggestion, I'm open for it).
>>

>>Hrothny
>>

>Not sure about adding the turkey stuff...but I can't imagine that it would
>ruin it.  Phillip (for the rest of you, my dearest husband who is an
>incredible cook in his own right) agrees, adding that it would change the
>taste a bit, depending on how much of the drippings you have to add.  Yes,
>I usually do remove most of the fat from the top of the cooled broth...and
>yes, it does frequently take on a jellied consistency.
>Kiri

The only meaty addition to broth I've ever had turn out badly was the time
a friend gave me some heavily smoked venison neck bones.  The smoke was way
to much, a little might have been OK.  It was probably karma. The bones
were fresh and it was August so almost certainly poached.  What can I say,
I live in a rural area.

Simon Sinneghe
Briaroak, Summits, An Tir