[Sca-cooks] Report on Thanksgiving experiments...OP

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Nov 26 16:05:13 PST 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 6:36 PM, Helen Schultz wrote:

> I may be asking the obvious, but I have no idea what "mirepoix"
> is... can
> someone please explain it to me??  Is it the stuffing?
>
> ~~ obviously, my cooking knowledge must be lacking <sigh>

Named after some deceased Frenchman or other, it's an aromatic
chopped vegetable mixture frequently used in making stocks and
sauces. A standard formula is 2 parts onion, 1 part carrot and 1 part
celery. There are variations such as "white" mirepoix, which
substitutes the white of leek for the carrot, and "dark" mirepoix,
which uses carrot and/or the green part of the leek (I like both when
making that, myself, but had none on Thursday). Typically this
mixture would comprise about 15% of the total contents of your stock
or saucepot. You strain it out when you're done, as a general rule,
unless you take special care to cut it into little perfect 1/8th-inch
cubes or some such (this is sometimes used as a garnish for
consomme). Mine was rough-shopped.

It's also good the way I used it, which was as a pan liner. Like some
of the others who did a turkey and mentioned it on this list, I did
the "breast side down" thing, but had been concerned about the breast
skin sticking to the pan and tearing (I didn't have a roasting rack
large enough), so I put about four cups of mirepoix down in the
bottom of the pan, then laid my bird down on top of it.

And, as others have also mentioned, there came a point where I wanted
to turn the bird over, and the mirepoix did a fine job of keeping the
bird from sticking to the pan, and also flavored the pan drippings
quite dramatically. The only [minor] problem was that the cooked bird
showed little dents in its breast surface shaped like the bits of
carrot, onion and celery.

Under certain circumstances, when you have a roast that isn't killer
juicy (say, an eye round of beef), you can take the cooked roast out
of the pan, put the pan with the vegetables back in a hot oven to
brown a little more, then remove the vegetables from the pan to a
serving plate, and do the gravy-making boogie in the pan, and the
vegetables will have flavored the meat, flavored the gravy, and still
serve as a secondary side dish of pan-roasted veg...

In my case my lady wife stole some of them to add to dressing.

HTH,

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782