[Sca-cooks] Cranberry sauce (was Re: Report on Thanksgiving experiments) OOP

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Sun Nov 27 17:57:34 PST 2005

On Nov 24, 2005, at 6:57 PM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I made two kinds of sauces with cranberries...one a chutney, which
> turned out to be one of the best cranberry "things" I've ever
> eaten.  The other, a tart cranberry "dip" was good, but a little
> too tart for my taste.  We may try adding a little more Splenda
> before using it again.

I made cranberry chutney as well - now a set tradition in my family
as it's the 4th or 5th year running that we've had it.

I did have a small experiment this year though.  I had leftover fresh
cranberries though, and since my step-father only likes the "real"
cranberry sauce (which to him means the jellied kind that slurps out
of the can and keeps the can shape) I thought I'd try to make some.

I only thought it was possible because I noticed a certain amount of
jelling while making the chutney and figured there must be a lot of
pectin in those little red critters.  So I took the half package of
cranberries, washed them, cut them in half, and put them in a sauce
pan with enough water to just cover them and about a half cup of
sugar (a guestimate, the now pink water was too sweet to be
drinkable, but not saturated).  I cooked the stuff over medium heat
until the cranberries were all soft and translucent, ran it all
through a sieve to take out the skins & seeds, put the liquid back in
the saucepan, and kept simmering it until it was done (note: doneness
test taken from medieval quince marmalade recipe - put a drop onto a
clean knife and let it cool - it's done when it doesn't drip off the
knife).  Then I poured it into a small glass bowl and put it into the
fridge to chill.

It set very well.  Getting it out of the bowl was a trick (a metal
mold would have worked better) but I wound up with a small, firm,
dome-shaped, translucent cranberry jelly.  My step-father was brave
enough to try it, and then he went back for seconds and thirds.  It
tasted similar (not quite as sweet) as the canned stuff to me.

This leads me to a medieval-relevant question:  Are there any lists
out there of period fruits with high pectin contents?  I know that
quince has quite a lot of pectin, and that gooseberries are also
supposed to be good for jellies.  Any others?  Commercial pectin is
made from apples, yes?  Can apples be cooked to a jelly (and not be
just thick applesauce)?  How about plums?

- Doc

--
"English wine is more fit to be sieved rather than drunk."