[Sca-cooks] Report on Thanksgiving experiments...OP

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 26 22:53:07 PST 2005

Phlip asked me:

 > So, do we need to create some sort of a basic primer for the gravy-
 > challenged? Is there sufficient group interest? Or is there one
 > already in the Florilegium? Or a file open on flour-thickened sauces?
 >
 > Adamantius

I think it might not be a bad idea. In fact, I'm willing to bet that
Stefan would be quite willing to set up a file devoted to articles
containing basic techniques of various sorts,, from making gravy, to
making bread and pie
crusts, various other basic sauces, all kinds of stuff. Whaddaya say,
Stefan?
<<<

I've already got folks saying they get lost in the Florilegium or
can't find what they are looking for. So unless something has a tie-
in to the period the SCA covers or is of use in re-creating that time
period in groups such as the SCA, I'm unlikely to be able to use it.

However, I have saved some of the cooking techniques messages in the
past and will likely add them in the future. I'll probably eventually
create a special section for these.

For gravy, see this file:
gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not
medieval.

For making bread, see these files as well as others:
breadmaking-msg  (236K)  7/24/05    Period bread recipes and re-
creations.
yeasts-msg        (75K) 11/16/04    Medieval use of yeast. Using it
in the CMA.
flour-msg         (71K) 11/13/04    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.

For making pie crusts:
pies-msg          (57K)  7/26/02    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit
pies.

For making sauces, see the various files in the FOOD-CONDIMENTS
section such as:
Mustard-Making-art (36K) 12/ 7/03    "Making Medieval-Style Mustards"
by Pani
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
sauces-msg       (147K)  8/22/04    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com