[Sca-cooks] Report on Thanksgiving experiments...OP

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sat Nov 26 09:45:33 PST 2005

> So...what'd the rest of you do??
>
> Kiri

We had dinner with my dad's girlfriend, her son and his wife, and their
offspring. I brought an apple pie, with purchased crust that didn't bake
long enough and thus I have to change that in my copy of the recipe. It's
a sugar-free pie recipe involving apple juice concentrate, for which I
subsitute real apple cider that's been cooked down. And I brought flan, it
being *such* a traditional Thanksgiving dish. But it was requested, so I
brought it. My sister made a pumpkin-cream cheese pie from either a
newspaper article or a tv cooking show, and it was good but it baked
oddly so it had a sort of diseased look to it. ;-)

Everything else was pretty traditional--stuffing (no raisins, yay!),
turkey, cranberry sauces, pickles, bread, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn
pudding, green beans with roasted almonds, sweet potatoes (cubed and
roasted).

When I get home I have a half-peck or so of apples that will be individual
apple pie-ettes, I think. But not with purchased crust, and I'll make sure
it bakes long enough this time.

Margaret FitzWilliam