[Sca-cooks] pre-Magna-Carta reigns

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 28 10:54:34 PST 2005

> Adamantius complained:
> >We're in the midst of another "pre-Magna-Carta" reign here in the
> >East. I just wish the people who say that had actually read Magna
> >Carta and knew what is was, and what it signified. 'Nuff said...

Someone mentioned this weekend in a discussion that John supposedly put
the rights of the common man, such as "A freeman shall not be amerced
for a slight offense, except in accordance with the degree of the
offense", and others, into the Magna Carta, assuming that would cause
the barons to reject it; and when they did not, he enforced them just to
annoy the barons. I like it.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for
years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." - _Harvey_, by Mary Chase