[Sca-cooks] Re: Cooked for Thanksgiving

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 28 13:44:28 PST 2005

Devra at aol.com wrote:

>        This year I tried four new things, of which three turned out very
>nice and one was dubious. The dubious one was a Weight=Watchers' cranberry sauce,
>made with raw berries, chopped dried apricots, unsweetened applesauce, and
>'spreadable fruit' orange,  cooked together. It turned out very sharp and I
>thought it was nasty. Others thought it might be improved with some sweetening,
>but I say forget it.

WW recipes are not all gems, are they?  Ah well.  I've seen one [non-WW]
cranberry sauce recipe kicking around that featured candied ginger
instead of the usual raw oranges.  It just so happens that I have about
half a jar of wet candied ginger, in a lot of syrup that needs to get
used.  Hmmm.

>     The ones that worked: Lady Selene's Cream of Turnip soup from this list,

Baroness Muirath's, actually.  I'm still not sure if it is "period" but
it is very nice and comforting.  Next time I make it, I use an immersion
blender, that will be so much easier than shoveling hot chunky stuff in
and out of food processors!

>a buttermilk spoonbread from Bon Apetit, and a fruit dressing meant to go
>with goose (also from Bon Apetit) which was my favorite: a filling of cooked
>bacon, onion, chopped tart apples, canned chestnuts, chopped celeraic, sherry,
>chicken broth, and whole prunes, cooked together and then topped with a mixture
>of cubed bread, cream, eggs, grated parmesan and seasonings. Baked until puffy.
>Very nice indeed.
>     Devra

Mmmm, coming to your house next year.  Don't I wish.  I chickened out on
Doing Thanksgiving this year and we all went to a hotel restaurant and
let someone else get crazy and clean up.  I'm saving my brain cells for
Twelfth Night soteltie work instead.

Selene